Saturday 26 November 2011

Statement


                  The Manchester School of Architecture combines the research teams and facilities of two reputable universities. I consider that the availability of highly qualified staff with an extensive range of skill will be an invaluable support to my development as a student of architecture, with the ultimate goal of forming my own architectural philosophy. I acquired an understanding of the importance of a collaborative response to a project during my work experience at RSH+P. I also found that the combination of hand drawing and technology was essential, surprised by technology’s invaluable position as a medium of expression. This is very well catered for by the impressive facilities shown in the prospectus.
                  During my work experience at RSH+P, I helped to restore a model of the Centre Pompidou. I had read about its groundbreaking status in modern architecture, making it essential viewing during a visit to Paris. The building boasts its ingenious load-bearing steel frame structure on its exterior, including all the mechanical service elements. This structure allows for elements within the framework to be interchanged or replaced with ease, as well as eliminating the need for columns which would divide up the internal space. The efficient use of the site area allowed for a public square to be created, allowing for true admiration of the architectural and engineering achievement the building represents. The constant mechanical work of the service elements highlighted by the Richard Rogers style bright colour scheme on the exterior of the building bring the building alive and emphasize its functionality.
                  I was first inspired to further explore the world of architecture after a visit to Gaudi’s ‘La Sagrada Familia’ in Barcelona. This has led me to undertake an EPQ researching his works, studying references to historical precedence. I visited most of his works in Barcelona last summer; I was struck by his truly unique style, each building representing his own essay/ interpretation of a previous style. His original architectural style almost laughs at the other buildings on the isotropic plan of the ‘Eixample’ area. However, in his design of ‘La Casa Batllo’ he demonstrates architectural ‘good manners’ with his ‘Modernista’ rival, Domenech. He reduces the originally planned height of the turret (representing St. George’s lance), and repositions the turret and ceramic decorational elements to fit in a balcony, reaching out to the adjacent building.
                  I would like to visit the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao. I find that it is the perfect example of a piece of architecture marking the economic prosperity and cultural revival of a city. The building impressively portrays its organic inspiration, resembling roots, branches and unfolding leaves. I have studied it as part of my A2 art coursework looking at organic form in architecture. The building has become a symbol of Basque pride, home to the finest Basque cuisine, art and music as well as many modern art exhibitions. I would like to visit it in order to study the masterful approach taken in the designing of structural elements which produce such an organic effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment